Monday, September 3, 2007

Mama Bear

Yesterday we went to a nearby lake (not 'the' Lake) with some friends. There was a swimming beach with a nice shallow area for the girls to swim and they were having fun bopping around with our friend's daughter who is M's age.

Pretty soon the daddies came and got in the water and went out a little past the girls. The big girls quickly discovered that they could go out FARTHER near their daddy. The little ones stayed fairly close to their wading mommies who were chatting in ankle deep water.

Every so often, a boat would go by and make waves. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to knock li'l Miss M off her feet. I saw her go under, waited just a sec for her to get her feet under her..... but it didn't happen. Once I saw her little eyes open and frightened under the water....that's all it took. I got to her in about three steps, scooped her up and held her close.

Then I realized that I was wet to my panty line. Doh! Denim capris are NOT the best thing for swimming as they get rather heavy and feel just nasty when they're wet. The cute cuffs at the bottom that were earlier SO stylish, now HELD water. And that spare feminine hygiene product in my pocket? Um...not so useful anymore.

Did it occur to me to tell my friend who was RIGHT beside me in shorts to get my baby? Or to holler for her daddy who was not more than 3 or 4 steps behind her to get her? Nope. Never.crosssed.my.mind.

But it's okay. Mama Bear did her job and her baby's safe.

1 comment:

Journey of the Heart said...

OOOO scary still! You did what every good mama would and your right - sweet M is safe!