Monday, June 9, 2008

Feelin' like a bad mom

I've been feeling for a time like little Miss M's speech isn't up to par. (Yes, I know that her sister's redneck doesn't encourage proper talkin', but it's more than that.) It's not being able to say her sister G's name properly and many other flags. A long time ago, I took lots of child development classes and I guess I've just been in denial that there was an issue.

All my girls have been late talkers. But once they start, sheesh, they don't shut up. M's no different but she's hard to understand and she talks fast and she just assumes that you'll catch what she's trying to tell you. If you have to ask her to repeat something, she gives you a look like you're an idiot.

I've spoken with a friend who's a speech pathologist and she recommended getting her some help because she does have some delays and she's hard for the average not Mommy person to understand. So I looked around on the local school's site trying to find 'early intervention' stuff and I learned that it'll be September 2 before she'll start therapy! HELLO?? That's a three months from now! (Okay, yes, I have had suspicions for um...several.... months that she needed help and now that I've admitted it I'd like to get her evaluated and going to therapy TODAY!)

The local place that two people recommended to me we'll have to pay for. Our $^#$^ insurance of course, will not cover it. I called the DaddyMan because I couldn't even find the ^#$%$# insurance book and we looked it up online. I was, of course, fretting about the cost. But like the wise man that he is, he calmly said, "This is our child and people need to be able to understand her, right? Well, there's no price on that, so do what you need to do to get it fixed." Sniff. Gosh I love him. He could tell this was stressing me.

So, I've spent the morning on the phone. We're getting the evaluation done privately, we'll hopefully go to private therapy this summer and then we can transfer to the school system's services in September. Whew. I have a plan. Onward and upward to better speech Miss M and no more people asking if she's speaking Chinese.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

If you haven't already, call the school district now to see if you can start the evaluations immediately. It took almost 5 months for our school district to complete all the evaluations and get an IEP done. By then, it was summer, and we were moving, and regular speech therapy wouldn't have started until September!

Our district did do evaulations over the summer, just not the therapy sessions.

Alex did very well in private speech and showed a huge amount of improvement even in the first 3 months. He still has more to do though and we're having to transfer everything here.

ThoughtfulMom said...

Quit feeling guilty. It's a waste of time. :)

Be sure you check into what you'd actually get from the school system - particularly since you homeschool - because it probably isn't near the quality that she'd get from private therapy. Most likely, they'd want you to enroll her in school because you are already past the age for early intervention (she aged out on her third birthday). Around here, kids with a minor speech problem (meaning speech and no other problems) get about fifteen minutes
once a week of group (3-4 kids) therapy.

Carrie said...

My dear friend, we have all been there with our children in one way or another. AS I have told you so many times before, you are an amazing mom and your children are so blessed to have you as their mom.

Keep your eyes ahead of you, not behind. You are on the right track and you know she is going to be just fine.

Lovingly I want to encourage you not to climb on your own back. :)

Jaime said...

Do not feel bad Angela! Its always a hard call to make, some kids just do stuff later and its hard to know if that's how your child is going to be or if they need a little extra help. You are getting her help NOW and that's what counts! Hang in there!

alittlemoore said...

I am glad you found the help she needed. You are a great mom for seeking out what she needed. Sometimes we all need a little nudge even when we suspect it for longer.