Saturday, August 23, 2008

Whatta way to ruin a day!

Someone copied my credit card and tried to charge $500 on it.

Basically, at some point, I gave my credit card to someone to swipe and they ran it thru a machine that copies the magnetic strip on the back and then they put that copy on a Visa gift card and someone in Boston tried to use it. They were able to have $60 worth of KFC and $70 worth of gas, but when they tried to spend $375 on clothes, the card company blocked the transaction. I'm guessing they blocked it because at the same time I was trying to make an online purchase and I didn't think it was going thru so I kept trying. My transaction went thru FIVE times. Yep, today I bought 36 pairs of jeans. Oops.

So, I'm not liable for the $130 in charges that some scumbag put on my card, but my faith in humanity is shaken. What kind of person takes a suburban housewife's credit card with the intention of ripping her off? I have a very good idea of when this happened and I won't feel the same about the restaurant ever again. The night I went thru their drive thru and the guy took my card and was gone too long, I thought it was suspicious. I found it suspicious enough to think, "I need to remember this, just in case." and sure enough, when they called today, I said, "Oh my! I think I know where this happened!"

I've talked to our local police--who can do nothing since it didn't happen here. I called the town where I think my info was stolen but since it was over two weeks ago, they were useless and I have to drive 15 miles to their police station to file a report. I called Boston police where my card number was used, but they're having a big festival today and all their detectives are busy. I called the store that denied the $375 charge and they'll have their security person check the survelliance. I called the restaurant where I think this happend and their manager will be in Monday.

Basically, I struck out. Someone got away with using my card and will probably ruin someone else's day too. May the fleas of 100 camels invade his boxer shorts.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Ok that is freakin me out. How does one acquire such a machine to copy your cards number?

Are you going to be able to get to the bottom of this one? Too many questions for here, we'll talk. :)