Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The one where I was the village idiot

We had a bit of a mystery around here. Sunday after church, just after the DaddyMan arrived home, parked his truck in the garage and shut the door, the garage door reopened. I was in the kitchen at the time, doing some tidying and we both thought it was weird but forgot about it.

Monday morning, just after the DaddyMan went to work, I was in the kitchen waiting for the Wonder Dog to do her morning business, the garage door opened again. It was early, it was dark and that was rather freaky. I called the DaddyMan and he knew I was a bit freaked by the whole thing.

I went to the computer and started googling 'garage door opening unexpectedly' and such. I came to the conclusion that after almost 6 years in the house we either needed to rewire the base pad, change all the remotes' batteries or figure out which neighbor got a new opener that was now opening our door.

Later in the day, I remembered that somewhere in the house there is a spare remote that we use when we go for walks and whatnot. My van doesn't need a remote because it's programmed into my van (somehow, magic or something. LOL The DaddyMan did it).

This extra remote typically lives in the basket on top of the fridge where the charging cords for our phones/iPods/etc. live. I took down the basket and set it on the counter and BAM! the garage door started to open. Sure, enough in the basket was the remote. This morning when it opened....I'd thrown the iPod charger in there. Yesterday afternoon when it opened....I'd just thrown my phone charger in there.

DUH! Mystery solved. You may now return to your regular programming. The idiot has solved her village's issues.

No comments: