Saturday, April 13, 2013

A new toy

A while back I made a new quilt for my bed.  It's a large queen sized quilt. It looks like this: 
 I took it to the quilt store and the lady told me I was nuts to consider quilting it on my home machine.  I then decided to take my sweet neighbor lady up on her offer of using her long arm quilter.  
 
Then we measured and discovered my quilt was too big for her frame.
 
Last week, I visited a huge quilt store and test drove a long arm quilter.  It was a DREAM to use.  A DREAM. A $12,000 dream. 
 
I started scouring craigslist.  I talked it over with the DaddyMan.   I searched craigslist in three states.  I researched.   I decided I could live without one.
 
Then I looked at craigslist one more time and there it was......
 
And my girls think it is the COOLEST thing....
(M is surprisingly good at it!  LOL) 
 
It does have a stitch regulator, so depending on how fast you sew, it sews faster or slower based on how fast you're moving the machine around (which was something the $12,000 machine had that I SO loved!) The DaddyMan tried it out too.  He was briefly confused why he couldn't pull the machine all the way toward him to do the full section that's in front of you. Since the machine isn't that big, you can't.  He said, "You need a bigger machine."  I love him.  We'll wait a while for that upgrade. :)
So, I cleaned out my sewing room and found FIVE partially finished quilts.  I better get busy.
 

3 comments:

greelyrita said...

A nine inch machine is what that frame is designed for. If you end up making it work for a larger throated machine, please let me know. I have that exact same setup, and love my Pfaff dearly. Have you used it off the frame. It's a wonderful sewing machine. I bought a second one to use only off the frame. I design my own pantos because there are so few good ones out there. I would share if you want.

greelyrita said...

A nine inch machine is what that frame is designed for. If you end up making it work for a larger throated machine, please let me know. I have that exact same setup, and love my Pfaff dearly. Have you used it off the frame. It's a wonderful sewing machine. I bought a second one to use only off the frame. I design my own pantos because there are so few good ones out there. I would share if you want.

greelyrita said...

oh dear. I just realized that it was you I was talking to yesterday. duh. I left your blog up to read past posts and forgot who you were. Sorry. I am not usually this clueless :)