Friday, August 23, 2013

Fair time

I made a couple quilts for the fair.  First was this throw sized quilt I made from a Moda Ruby jelly roll.  I used an old sheet for the white part and a swirly print from Joann's for the back.  I loved working with a jelly roll--all the strips were precut which made this a quick one to piece.  Then I took it to the local quilt store and they helped me pick out the red border which totally rocks it.  I love it.

At the fair, the judge liked it and even tho I don't think she was fond of the puffy batting I put in it, she couldn't find any puckers (I know there's one!) and gave me a blue ribbon.  Yay!
The other entry was my long arm quilt.  This thing has been a bit of a beast from the beginning!  I spent about 2 years collecting batik fabrics for it.  I couldn't decide what pattern to use for all these glorious fabrics and I finally decided on a Twister.  I spent a couple weeks putting the quilt top together. Then I took it to the LQS to find backing fabric and they told me I was nuts if I was going to quilt this on a standard machine. So I was going to use my Sweet Neighbor's longarm machine. But, my quilt was too big. :insert head banging on wall here:
That's when I scoured Craigslist for a couple weeks and bought my own long arm.  Which meant I had to run a couple practice quilts thru it before I could quilt this baby on it.  I wasn't going to blow it by not knowing how to work the longarm, ya know?
So I got ready to put it on the longarm about 2 weeks before fair.  To my was too big!  Aack!  I was torn--do I tear some off and piece it back together and hurry to get it done for fair or forget ever putting it in the fair because by next year it will have been on my bed and look a bit worn possibly??  So, I got to ripping.  I tore a row off the side and bottom and then spent a couple days piecing it back together. 
A week before fair, (a WEEK people! This things has taken me about 2 years to get to this point and now I have SEVEN days to finish it....) the DaddyMan and I put it on the longarm. SO stressful!  And then it wasn't rolling right.  Aaagh!  The next morning I realized my error, rerolled it and started quilting.  It didn't go well and I did a lot of ripping out and said some ugly things.  By Tuesday I was finally done w/the quilting and took it off the quilter.  Whew!  I sewed on the binding Wednesday, hand stitched around this ginormous queen sized quilt and finished it late Friday. Whew! I dropped it off at the fair on Sunday. 
The judge liked it a lot and had lots of compliments for it. She gave it a blue.  Yay!  Once I saw both of my quilts judged I went to watch the photography judging.  I didn't do as well there (two reds and a blue out of 8 entries. :P)  One of the women I'd been chatting with in quilting came to me and told me that my quilt had won some big award. HUH??  I went back to the quilt building and discovered I'd won the award sponsored by the local quilting guild and it's essentially the judge's choice award.  WOW!  I was blown away! It was an award I hoped to win someday but didn't expect to win it at all!  What a fabulous surprise!
The fair didn't open until Wednesday to see my stuff on display, but Tuesday night a friend of mine wandered thru the fairgrounds and texted me a picture of my quilt.  It had also won an outstanding exhibit ribbon!  Dang!  I never expected the quilt that gave me fits to do so well! 
Oh, you wanna see what it looks like??  Here it is, in it's home on my bed. :)

Here's the backing and binding:
And here it is in different lighting, all wadded in a heap. :)
Now....what to make for next year???

No comments: