Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A long time ago....

I once  had a blog and I updated it fairly regularly.  Typically in spurts.  Hmm....the last update was 6 months ago.  Dude....that's some serious neglect!  Why the neglect?  Well, at least this time, I have a good excuse. 

If you notice in my last post, I mention I was lounging in bed instead of getting up and getting going in the morning.  I'm not typically a lounger.  But starting on March 16th, I'd been waking up with horrific headaches.  The kind that keep me lying in bed and almost praying for death.  I had those for a week. And I just felt icky.  At church on the 23rd, I dozed off during communion.  A woman was playing a lovely flute solo and as I sat there listening to her play and holding my tiny cup of juice, I nodded off.  Then I jerked awake.  Awkward.....

 By the second week of headaches, I'd gotten smart and was putting the bottle of Advil on my bathroom counter at bedtime. Then I would wake up at 5 or 6am, take four Advil and crawl back into bed for an hour or so.  I finally started to worry my friends who knew I'd had two weeks of headaches and they insisted I go to the doctor.  I'd seen my chiropractor twice, but that hadn't helped.  I was also having hot and cold spells.  Typically after I'd get out of shower in the morning, I would have to dry off, get partially dressed and sit on the closed toilet until I could stop sweating and muster up the energy to finish getting dressed and do my hair.  I also was having cramps in my legs.  They hurt SO bad that when I'd roll over at night and my calves would bump together, it would wake me up.  Ugh!

Unfortunately, I didn't have a doctor I see regularly so I saw a new guy that is a family practice doc that I'd taken my girls to a few months earlier for checkups and taken the DaddyMan to for pneumonia in January.  But he didn't know me at all.  I saw him on April 1 and informed him I had a wicked headache, hot flashes and muscle cramps in my legs.  He asked me a thousand questions, did a full physical and diagnosed me with tension headaches.  I told him it couldn't be since I lead a stress free life. :D  He also took what seemed like a gallon of blood and a urine sample, prescribed painkillers and ordered a CT of my head just to be sure. 

Since I'd freaked him out a bit by telling him how much Advil I was taking, I added Excedrin Migraine to my rotation of headache killers.  That helped a bit.  I also noticed in the office that day, my resting heartrate was almost 100 beats per minute.  That's waaaay up for me since I'm normally about 64.  Something wasn't right.  And I still felt horrible.

To be continued....

1 comment:

greelyrita said...

Oh dear! My fingers are crossed for you!