Saturday, September 27, 2014

And another thing....

After spending a good chunk of Friday in the ER, and sleeping the weekend away, Doc called on Monday to tell me I had a UTI.  He added another antibiotic to my regime of drugs and the DaddyMan started pumping me full of water.  I got SO tired of water I wanted to scream.  I knew he was right and apparently it didn't occur to any of us that going out and getting me something else to drink may help so I drank water until I wanted to puke.

Considering the fact that I had mono and was completely exhausted, I was having trouble sleeping.  I would go to bed at night, sleep until about midnight or one when I'd need to use  the bathroom due to the gallons of water the DaddyMan was pushing thru me and then I would lay awake for HOURS in the middle of every night.  Hours, people.  I hurt all over (you know the body aches that go along with the flu?  Yeah, that's how I felt) and still had the pounding headache so getting up and being productive wasn't an option.  Neither was moving to the couch, since my bed is far more comfy.  So, I would lie in bed as still as possible, listening to the creepy night noises and plan my funeral.  Good times.

I was also having horrible nightmares when I did sleep.  One of them involved me having to save M from our car as it had crashed into a lake and was sinking with her in the backseat.  I had to dive for her four or five times before I pulled her to safety.  Another night I dreamed I was being followed down a dark road.  I was walking, carrying my purse and wishing my purse held a gun instead of a yummy bag of Fritos. 

I'd noticed on Wednesday that my right arm was sore near the elbow.  Since I'd been spending much of each day in bed, I thought maybe I'd just been laying on it.  By Thursday it was red, hot and very sore.  A friend drove me to the doctor that day and he came in and asked me how I was.  "Still alive" was my answer.  He asked about my leg clots and noticed I didn't go thru the ceiling when he touched them.  And then I showed him my arm.  He got a fabulously dumbfounded look on his face and you could practically see the cogs turning in his head at that one. "This is weird." he said.  Greaaaat.....   After he asked a few more questions and didn't give me any answers I asked if he planned to tell me what it was.  He said he would.....just as soon as he knew.  I also told him about my lovely nightmares.  He gave me a new drug.  Aaah....

From there, I got sent to the hospital for an ultrasound of my arm.  That lady was neither friendly nor gentle. I lay on the table, in the dark, unable to see the screen and let the tears run down my face.  I really felt like dying would be preferable to my present state. 

I went home and waited for Doc to call with results.  5pm came and went and I figured he'd forgotten about me and someone would call the next day.  But man, did my arm hurt!!  Finally at 5:45 he called and told me he'd spent the last 45 minutes reviewing my case.  It turns out that I had a blood clot from my forearm to my armpit!!  No wonder it hurt so stinkin' bad!  He prescribed blood thinners and wanted me to go see 'The Smartest Man in the World,' a hematologist oncologist.  Um...yeah, that's kinda scary, but I was ready to do whatever, because I was feeling truly overwhelmed at this point.  And awful.  I felt truly awful too. 

As I got ready for bed that night, Doc called about 9pm.  He was going out of town for the weekend and wanted to know if I had any questions about the blood thinners, if I'd gotten my prescription filled and so on.  He told me that if I felt like death warmed over to not be afraid to go to the ER.  I told him I totally felt like death warmed over and what would push me on over to needing the ER.  He gave me a short list and wished me well.

No comments: