Friday, September 26, 2014

Fun times in the ER

They wheeled into a room, sat me on the bed and I was soon swarmed with medical types.  One helped me into a gown, one asked a million questions, one hooked up an eeg, and one wanted to start an iv in my elbow.  In my elbow??  I requested it in my hand and she kindly informed me that if they needed to give me the meds my doctor thought I might need, they needed a bigger vein. Greaaaat.

I was so tired from all this excitement that pretty much all I did was lean my head back, pull up the blanket, close my eyes and try to rest.  I pretty much hurt all over; my pounding heart made me feel like I'd run a marathon and I couldn't get a good deep breath.  I just wanted to sleep.  Or die.  And I figured I was in the right place if I was about to do the latter.

Over the course of the next hour, I had a chest CT, an EEG, more bloodwork and ultrasounds of both legs.  Then I really wanted  a nap.  My doc came over to tell me that thankfully I didn't have a blood clot in my lung or deep in a vein but I had clots in more minor veins in both legs.

Once again, he told me to go home and rest.  Put hot packs on my legs, take the antibiotic for a possible vein infection, take painkillers for my headache and fever and rest, rest, rest. 

Great....I can do that.  And I did.  I went home, crawled into bed and pretty much stayed there until the following Thursday, when I went back to the doctor and showed him my newest malady....

No comments: