Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Just another awkward moment...

So one day, late in April, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from the doctor. I was feeling a bit stronger and decided I could walk in, go to the deli, check out and make it back to the car without draining my little energy too much.   I really only needed lunch meat, so I didn't get a cart.

I went to the counter and got two pounds of meat. Then I decided I was hungry for my friend's Mexican relish and I headed for the canned goods.  But I passed the peanut butter and remembered we needed a jar of creamy.  I picked that up and saw that the breakfast sausages were on sale so I got two boxes.  Then I remembered that I wanted to make a pasta salad so I picked up a block of cheese and mini pepperoni.

So I finally hit the canned good aisle and grabbed six or maybe seven cans.  As I stacked my overfilled arms carefully, I started to wish I had a cart.  Then I started towards the checkout and I dropped my cheese. 

I had a thought of squatting down to pick it up.  Riiiiiiight.  I'm not that coordinated at my best health!  I looked both ways in the aisle and saw no one.  I considered kicking it down the aisle.  I considered unloading my arms onto a shelf but there was no room.  Aack.  Only me....

Finally, a couple a few years older than me came down my aisle.  I sucked up my pride and walked halfway down the aisle to them and said, "Excuse me, can you help me?  I dropped my cheese and I cannot pick it up."   They looked at me and the man chuckled and headed down the aisle to retrieve my cheese for me. 

Life lesson: if you haven't been to the grocery store in a month, get a cart!

No comments: